My Milan Bucket List
Last year I made a secret vow to myself that I would finally travel to Italy this year. This May I’m travelling to Italy – Milan to be precise. I’m going for just under a week with my best friend from university and I couldn’t be more excited.
We chose Milan purely because the flights were cheapest on Skyscanner (affiliate link) at the time we wanted to go on holiday. Although, if money were no object I would choose somewhere else like Cinque Terre or Rome, I have always included Milan when thinking about places I want to visit in Italy. It looks like a gorgeous, interesting city.
Neither of us have much idea of what to expect so we’re doing a lot of research. Here are some of the things that I’ve decided I would like to do whilst in Milan. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
- See Duomo Di Milano – AKA one of the most Instagram worthy Cathedrals in the world! Although I’ve come to accept that I’m never going to be able to compete with the big Instagram influencers I still can’t resist the lure of an Instagram worthy destination! Not only does Milan’s gorgeous cathedral always appear on my recommended section on Instagram but it is possibly the most famous landmark in the city so it should obviously be one of our first stops on our trip.
- Take in the views from the Duomo terraces– what’s better than taking in the views of a gorgeous city whilst perched high above the rooftops? Not a lot! I only discovered that the Duomo has terraces the other day so this is a nice bonus.
- Eat all the pasta and pizza – I’m slightly scared that eating pasta and pizza in Italy will ruin the foods for me forever more. I’m also slightly scared about what all those delicious carbs are going to do to my waistband but calories don’t count when you’re on holiday. I’m going to gorge myself on proper gelato and sweet sweet Italian wine too!
- See The Last Supper Painting – I’m not a religious person but religion, especially Christianity/Catholicism fascinates me. I love visiting a cathedral in every new place I visit and I love learning about the religious history of a place. That’s why, when I learnt that Leonardo Da Vinci’s The Last Supper painting (well, what’s left of it) is in Milan I knew I had to see it for myself!
- Go (window) shopping – Obviously I can’t visit one of the fashion capitals of the world and not do a little window shopping! Sadly I’m limited to window shopping because I’m assuming the prices are going to be well out of the range that I can afford, but it cant’t hurt to look and dream can it?
- Take a day trip or two – Lake Como is a must as it’s very close and looks stunning. My friend’s Italian pals have also told her that Verona and Venice aren’t too far away and are well worth a day trip.
- Get an education at Sforza Castle – I love a good historical day trip and who doesn’t love an old, European castle? Italy is the perfect place to go exploring castles and fortresses.
- Explore the nightlife of the Navigli District – Up until researching for my upcoming trip I had no idea that Milan also had a smaller connection of canals not unlike those in Venice (see, told you I had no idea about Milan!). These canals are in the Navigli District which Leonardo Da Vinci even had a say in how it should look when it was being built. Today this district is home to beautiful views, fabulous restaurants and vibrant nightlife making it a must-visit place.
Have you been to Milan before? Did you do anything mentioned on this list? Do you have any recommendations for things to do that I haven’t included? Let me know in the comments!
Want to see more? You can follow me on social media: